Baltimore taxpayers will fork over another $107,500 to settle two more police misconduct cases under an agreement approved this morning by the Board of Estimates.
Last week, it was revealed at a City Council hearing that Baltimore has spent $10.4 million in the past three years defending the Baltimore Police Department against lawsuits.
In fiscal year 2011, the city spent $3.5 million on settling lawsuits against the Police Department, including in-houses expenses and fees for private attorneys hired to defend the police.
That’s down from $3.7 million in fiscal 2010 and up from $3.2 million in fiscal 2009, according to William Voorhees, director of revenue.
In today’s settlements, $67,500 will be paid to Terrell Perkins who suffered non-specified injuries after police suspected him in an armed robbery at Murry’s grocery store in East Baltimore on April 10, 2007.
Perkins was charged with assault and resisting arrest after he reportedly lunged at Detective Byron J. Conway and other officers. The charges were later dropped, according to City Solicitor George Nilson.
In the second case, Alvin Cuffee was paid $40,000 to settle a lawsuit stemming from his arrest on May 24, 2009 outside the Iguana Cantina in the Inner Harbor.
Cuffee was charged with assault on another patron and resisting arrest. The charges were subsequently dropped by the state’s attorney’s office.
Cuffee sued for injuries that occurred when police used a baton to subdue him, Nilson said.
City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young voted against the two settlements. He did not explain his reasons for opposing the awards, which were approved by the four other BOE members, including Finance Director Edward J. Gallagher, who represented Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, absent from the meeting because she had a cold, an aide said.